Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Foray: Developing Ruby on Rails, CoffeeScript, Mongo, ElasticSearch on a Mac

The one thing I really like about where I'm at now is the diversity of projects I've been able to work on in the last 8 months. My current project is a welcome divergence that has rekindled my admiration for the command line.

In the past 2 weeks I've had to come up to speed with not only developing on a Mac (a very nice 13" MacBook Pro w/ Retina display), but also developing the backend API using Ruby on Rails (v3), the client side using CoffeeScript and ElasticSearch for the indexing (Mongo is becoming less of a requirement for us).

Luckily package managers like HomeBrew and RVM have made environment setup easy [enough], Git is ... well Git, and WebStorm + Sublime Text 2 are the IDEs of the day. It all works just fine, but I can't get over the feeling there is just too much "magic" and hand holding, specifically in CoffeeScript, but also in RoR.

... more to come later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment